Shipping items to South Africa
DE MINIMUS INFORMATION
South Africa has a de minimus of R500
De minimus is the value below which certain countries do not assess taxes and duties on shipments.
De minimis value significantly impacts eCommerce. This is because B2C orders are typically a much lower value than B2B, and a larger percentage of your shipments will clear duty and tax-free to specific countries. Shipments below the de minimis value will clear faster and provide an opportunity to get your shipments faster.
Please be aware that consolidating shipments will affect the value of your shipment and therefore the de minimus value as well.
Take note that many items can be received duty-free if the goods meet the rules of origin under free trade agreements.
IMPORT DUTIES AND TAXES
MyUniversalShop.com recommends applying for an Importers Code
S.A. Customs (SARS) allows individuals & Businesses to Import goods into South Africa three times a year (Calendar year) using an ID number for Customs clearance purposes.
If you have already imported goods 3 times or more, you are required to provide an Importers Code for any further imports during the remained of the calendar year.What to do now?
Please apply for your Importers Code and add that code to your Importers Code address line in your MyUniversalShop.com portal.
Please find your links to the registration and licensing forms below
Application Forms DA 185 for registering as an Importer.
The registration process for obtaining an Importers Code is quick and easy:Fill in the required application forms and relevant annexure(s):
- DA185 - Application form: Registration/Licensing of Customs and Excise Clients
- DA 185.4A1 - Registration Client Type 4A1- Importer
- Send all forms and supporting documents to the nearest Customs and/or Excise office.
What supporting documentation is needed?
- Proof of address i.e. your municipal water and electricity account. - Certified Copy or Original
- Certified copy of your identity document.
- Proof of contact Number i.e. Telkom account of cell phone provider account - Certified
- Bank Statement - Bank Certified
- Tax Clearance certificate
- Consent letter - I the undersigned, (Name, Surname, I.D. Number) in my capacity as an Individual hereby apply for an Imports Customs code. Signed and dated.
The registration validity period is indefinite.
What is the cost of registration?
How long does it take for approval?
For Customs registrations, SARS will process and finalise the application within 5 business days, where no inspection is required. Where an inspection is required, we will process and finalise the application within 21 business days.
Certain items are restricted by MyUniversalShop.com as a matter of procedure. Other country specific restrictions are found here.
NOTE: Please note that the sending country may have their own specific restrictions